OK, so when I left off the “Part 2” post, the gift bags were being moved to the attic. When I started moving the bags, I realized that one hook wasn’t enough, so I put a second hook in another wood beam.
I still had tissue paper and a few squares of folded wrapping paper that I needed to store, so I used the clips to hang those too.
I really didn’t like how precariously the cards seemed to be sitting in the baskets – the baskets were too shallow and narrow for the cards.
Then I remembered the Young House Love image I had seen at the beginning. I raced to the post on their website to see what their card storage had looked like and what they had used – BINGO! A CD basket.
I looked around online and found the best deal at The Container Store. I checked the dimensions listed online and compared that to the size of the cards. It seemed like it would be a great option – deep and wide and high enough! Within a few days, I’d picked up 3 baskets.
I guessed at where I wanted the basket to be, and then I was able to draw marks through the wire straight onto the door. I checked that the marks were level and adjusted as needed. I took the same type of wood screws that I had used on the rails and went from inside the basket straight into the closet door. I didn’t have to make a hole in the basket – I just used the screwdriver to thread the screw through the back of the basket. It worked great!
I ended up using removing the middle rail so that I could attach all 3 baskets to the door – one basket for cards and the other two baskets for ribbons. I was really surprised at how much ribbon I had! I don’t feel like I buy ribbon that often, but I guess since I saved all of the ribbons from our wedding presents, we had accumulated quite a mountain.
Since the gift bags had been moved to inside the closet, the top rail was empty. I used some remaining s-hooks to hang a basket that I had on hand. I put some extra bows in there (again – I cannot believe the amount of ribbons and bows we have!)
And with that done, I called the gift wrap storage project complete!
Here are the “final” pictures –